Re: spacing/layout 2.19

From: Simon Bailey
Subject: Re: spacing/layout 2.19
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 11:18:31 +0100

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 10:57 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Simon Bailey <address@hidden> writes:
>> following my issues with ligatures, i compiled 2.19.2 from source on
>> OS X. i'm now seeing very different spacing and layouting than with
>> the 2.18.1 official package from lilypond.org.
>
> There is no official 2.18.1 package from lilypond.org.

my bad, sorry. i did mean 2.18.0.

>> Is this a general improvement in 2.19 or is this _probably_ related to
>> my homegrown version using a 64-bit version of the pango or freetype
>> libraries that work better/correctly?
>
> There are general improvements in spacing, particularly vertical spacing
> in 2.19.2 as compared to 2.18.0.  It may well be that problems with
> ligatures/compositing/whatever _also_ have an influence on the overall
> layout difference you are experiencing, but with regard to overall
> spacing and layouting I would expect those influences to be minor at
> best.

ok, then it's probably to do with the general improvements rather than
a better/different library. when a 2.19.2 package comes out, i'll do a
direct comparison of homegrown and official package, just to see if
there are any difference.

regards,
sb

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of trombonists, for they are subtle and
quick to anger.