Re: Adjustments to lyrics alignment

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Adjustments to lyrics alignment
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 15:56:30 +0100

Gonçalo Nogueira <address@hidden> writes:

>> You can try the following:
>>

>> Note that #LEFT is the same as #-1 and #RIGHT the same as #1 and you can
>> also use any value in between to get more subtle results.  Or even
>> beyond the range of -1..1 in order to get less subtle results.
>>
>> I apologize for the necessity of using \markup in connection with \tweak
>> here.  We haven't yet found an amicable compromise avoiding this
>> nuisance.
>>
>> --
>> David Kastrup
>>

> Is there a way I can define a music function so that I can write
>
> \alignLyrics #0.7 syllable
>
> The attachment shows what I have tried but is not compiling.
> alignLyrics =
> #(define-music-function
>       (parser location alignment text)
>       (number? markup?)
>     #{
>     \once \override LyricText.self-alignment-X = #alignment \lyricmode {
> #text }
>     #})
>

> \relative c'' {
>   c8. a16 f4
> } \addlyrics {
>   le -- \alignLyrics #0.7 bens -- satt
> }

Maybe a bit too ambitious regarding the mix and match of markups and
music (I am not saying that some variant of that should or should not be
working, but it's not quite clear what and how).  Try the following
instead:

alignLyrics =
#(define-music-function
      (parser location alignment text)
      (number? ly:music?)
    #{
    \tweak LyricText.self-alignment-X #alignment #text
    #})

\relative c'' {
  c8. a16 f4
} \addlyrics {