Re: lowering an upper markup on the staff

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: lowering an upper markup on the staff
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2014 16:42:07 +0100

olicha <address@hidden> writes:

> In order to show where the separations between music cells are, I wrote:
> tic = \markup { \beam #.5 #2 #.5 }
> r16 c b^"a" a g e^\tic d^"b" f e8
> which produces
> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n158718/tic.png>
>
> I'd like to get the tic lower, at least on the two upper lines of the staff.
> The better would be half-stem, if its position could be referenced to the
> note itself.
>
> I tried
> r16 c b^"a" a g \once \override TextScript.Y-offset = #-1 e^\tic d^"b" f e8
>
> Surprisingly, nothing changes from #-1 to #-4, and suddenly, with #-5, the
> tic falls down under the staff.
>
> question one: what is the method to get that tic on the staff?
> question two: what is the correct syntax for writing the override in the
> definition of the variable (tic = ...)? It would make the tune more
> readable.

I am not really interested in puzzling fragments together into something
that may or may not correspond to what you are using yourself.  So
I have nothing to test the following against:

It's probably viable to do something like
\once \override TextScript.outside-staff-priority = ##f
in order to stop LilyPond from moving material outside of the staff.

--
David Kastrup