Re: Tempo placement

From: Eluze
Subject: Re: Tempo placement
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 15:44:53 -0800 (PST)

Marc Hohl wrote
> Hi list,
>
> I want the tempo indication to appear at the leftmost edge of the piece
> (I know that Gould has a different opinion about this, but I am using
> LilyJAZZ, and the Realbook style does not care about these typographic
> conventions).
>
> However, changing the break-align-symbols property does not seem to
> have *any* effect:
>
> \version "2.19.0"
>
> melLeftEdge = {
>    \override Score.MetronomeMark.break-align-symbols = #'(left-edge)
>    \tempo "Slowly" 4 = 60
>    c'4
> }
> \score { \new Staff { \melLeftEdge } }
>
> melClef = {
>    \override Score.MetronomeMark.break-align-symbols = #'(clef)
>    \tempo "Slowly" 4 = 60
>    c'4
> }
> \score { \new Staff { \melClef } }
>
> melKey = {
>    \override Score.MetronomeMark.break-align-symbols = #'(key-signature)
>    \tempo "Slowly" 4 = 60
>    c'4
> }
> \score { \new Staff { \melKey } }
>
> How can I achieve a left-aligned tempo indication?

that sounds like a sophisticated problem!

instead of MetronomeMark try

  \override Score.RehearsalMark.break-align-symbols = #'(left-edge)

then, quoting the NR:

"Using the break-alignable-interface
Rehearsal marks and bar numbers may be aligned with notation objects other
than bar
lines. These objects include ambitus, breathing-sign, clef, custos,
staff-bar, left-edge,
key-cancellation, key-signature, and time-signature.
Each type of object has its own default reference point, to which rehearsal
marks are aligned"

you'll have to determine the reference point you like.

hth - a bit

Eluze