Adding markup to percent repeat sign

From: David Bellows
Subject: Adding markup to percent repeat sign
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 18:14:07 -0800

Hello all,

I'm writing a kind of minimalist piece that has a lot of repeated
measures that I would like to notate using the percent repeat symbol
with text above it like "8x" or any other arbitrary text.

The built-in functionality does not seem to allow for this unless I'm
missing something. I found a snippet to generate a percent repeat
sign:

makePercent =
#(define-music-function (parser location note) (ly:music?)
   "Make a percent repeat the same length as NOTE."
   (make-music 'PercentEvent
               'length (ly:music-length note)))

But this does not allow me to add \markup to it like:

\version "2.19.1"
\score {
c e g c | \makePercent s1^\markup{"8x"}
}

The normal \repeat percent 8 {blah} approach does not work because it
creates a lot of measures with the repeat sign and I just want the one
measure.

I've seen solutions for spanning a selection with a spanner like
------3x------ but that's not what I want nor do I want to use voltas
(and I believe I saw a solution for putting the "8x" over the bar line
which is not what I want either).

I'm fairly certain I've seen this notation before in other scores.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks