Re: Behaviour of TextSpanner dashes

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Behaviour of TextSpanner dashes
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 08:20:17 -0600

Hi Urs,

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 8:09 AM, Mark Knoop <address@hidden> wrote:
At 14:59 on 05 Feb 2014, Urs Liska wrote:
>in the attached image you see a TextSpanner, and I'm having some
>issues with it:
>
>- why is the first dash longer than the other(s),
>   is this a design decision (if yes, why)?
>   can it be modified?
>- is it possible to make a TextSpanner always to align
>   to the right edge of the score (i.e. the barline)
>   and let the dash structure adapt to that?
>   (I see the 'right-bound-info' property but didn't
>    find any helpful information on that alist)

This was one of my pet peeves with Finale--having to endlessly adjust dashed lines so they weren't ended by a dot (usually discovered on the printout...)

I can't see any reason why LilyPond couldn't be enhanced to ensure that this doesn't happen.

In fact, there's a markup command \draw-dashed-line which guards against these clipped edges.

--David