How do I end an extender line?

From: Frank Steinmetzger
Subject: How do I end an extender line?
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 15:50:17 +0100

Dear list

I'm setting a score in which the women (one staff) and men (another
staff) each sing solo stanzas, then the chorus together, and then alone
again. The order of parts is this:

Men stanza,   lyrics attached to men voice, below men staff
Chorus,       lyrics attacged to women voice, centered between the staves
Women stanza, lyrics attached to women voice, below women staff
Chorus (same as first chorus)

My problem is: The first stanza (which is for men) ends with an extender
line. During the chorus, the lyrics are covered by the lyrics context
centered between the staves, so the men's lyrics are empty:

{ \repeat unfold 16 _ }

This, however, gives me an extender throughout the entire chorus until
the next proper syllable in the men's lyrics context. To circumvent
that, I inserted a unicode thinspace as lyrics for the men's chorus. It
is invisible but counts as a syllable.

What is the *proper* way here? Searching for this problem I only found
messages about the other way around, where the extender was not spanned
over single underscores (which was reported as a bug).

The only other solution I come up with is to use one single lyrics block
and insert many \set associatedVoice.

Cheers
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.

I cried because I had no shoes.  Until I saw someone who had no feet.