Re: \fill-line while respecting natural widths

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: \fill-line while respecting natural widths
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2014 12:53:06 +0100

On 02/08/2014 11:22 PM, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Hi David,

Hmm--do you think it should be added as an option to \fill-line?

DEFINITELY!
As just one example: I’m going to use it in the musical theatre scores I’m
engraving right now, to [evenly] space two columns of dialogue above a system
of underscore music.

But maybe it should be its own separate function, e.g., \spaced-line, or some
such thing?

Agreed.  What about \equispaced-line?

The rationale for \fill-line IMHO is only to be used for one, two or three arguments, which is the common case in headings. One for center-aligned (which should be available as \center-line on it's own...), two for left-right-aligned, three for left-center-right-aligned. That's it. Everything else gives highly unintuitive results. It's the analogue of one of the rare features I miss in OpenOffice vs. Word: In the latter, you can specify the horizontal alignment for groups of words in a single line, separated by tabs. \fill-line might not be the best name for that, but it's late to change it. (\equicentered-line? Leftmost and rightmost element don't fit in, though...) And it's description is really bad, now that I read it again... BTW, I'd like to see collision avoidance there (and there should be a comment in the code on what's necessary), but probably it's overkill for what it's used for.

On the other hand, especially for two-column-dialogues or verses, I always end up to use manually spaced columns: I want a consistent column separation, I (usually) want columns of consistent width, and I (usually) want the columns to start at the same horizontal position. At least if you have several of those places. Then, it's almost no difference whether you use \spaced-line (\equispaced-line?) or simply a \fill-line (as \center-line) of $stuff to autocalculate left and right margin.

Best,
Alexander