Re: filenames of png and svg not consistent (fwd)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: filenames of png and svg not consistent (fwd)
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 09:37:48 +0100

Martin Tarenskeen <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, 11 Feb 2014, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>

>> >  01,02,...09,10,11
>> >  in case of 11 pages, instead of
>> >  1,2,...,9,10,11 (as it is right now) which may result in non-canonic
>> >  ordering of files.
>
>>  I think this is too smart.  Just imagine that you have 99 images
>>  embedded in a web page.  Now add a single image, rerun lilypond, and
>>  suddenly you have to correct all image names to add another leading
>>  zero.
>
> Then maybe always use a 3-digit number 001 ... 999
> That should be sufficient in most cases? If not (!) the user could
> probably split the project in separate parts ?
>
> I have never seen a 1000+ page score ... yet

It depends on what you are doing.  The preview-latex system
<URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/preview-latex> turns each
embedded math construct into one page in a PDF or DVI file and papers
written by father (Theoretical Physics) routinely take 1000+ of those.

LilyPond's documentation uses a similar mechanism though with separate
file name bases.  If it wanted to employ GhostScript on multiple images
in a single run (and that significantly cuts down on execution time), it
would likely need to route this through a single file name as well.

So at any rate, a 1000+ page document does not need to consist of just a
single \score.  %d is a simple format supported by basically all tools
that allow for autogenerated file names.  Stuff like %03d is much more
tricky.

--
David Kastrup