Re: Lilypond for blind musicians

From: Claudio Garanzini
Subject: Re: Lilypond for blind musicians
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 19:14:25 +0100

Thanks a lot! I will try Emax! Bye bye for now

-----Messaggio originale----- From: Hwaen Ch'uqi Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2014 6:38 PM To: Pierre Perol-Schneider Cc: Claudio Garanzini ; lilypond-user Subject: Re: Lilypond for blind musicians
Greetings Claudio,
I know nothing about NVDA, nor am I a Windows user, but a quick
search seems to indicate that NVDA has much progress yet to be made,
particularly where specialized applications are concerned.
I gather that you are most interested in free and truly actively
developed software. Might I suggest the combination of emacs and
emacspeak? Emacs is not a word processor, but it is, among other
things, an editor which affords wonderful environments for writing
programs. (And LilyPond is in effect a sort of programming language.)
Emacs comes already bundled with a LilyPond mode. As emacs is
incredibly powerful, you can write code, compile it, listen to the
generated midi files, read the LilyPond manuals, update your LilyPond
version, even write to this community without ever leaving emacs. I
doubt that NVDA will be able to communicate to you anything which is
going on in emacs. This is where emacspeak comes in. A quick search
appears to indicate that emacs can be run on Windows, and I would
presume then that emacspeak can as well.
I hope this helps.
Hwaen Ch'uqi