Re: Best practice for dynamics position on SATB hymn with chords

From: Brian Barker
Subject: Re: Best practice for dynamics position on SATB hymn with chords
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 03:07:14 +0000

At 00:06 14/02/2014 +0100, Yann Cha wrote:
My usual layout when typesetting hymns is a ChoirStaff, with SA-TB voices, main lyrics printed between staves, ... I was wondering, what is the best practice for positioning the dynamics ? Above or below the staves ? Should them be printed only once for all the ChoirStaff, or for each staff?

Gould says (p 465, under "Choral writing"):
_Dynamics, expression marks and technical instructions_: place these above each individual stave so that each singer can see them immediately (avoid a single instruction above the top stave, as this will most certainly be overlooked).

and (p 468):
Two-stave SATB layout
Place dynamics and expression marks above the treble stave and below the bass stave, to apply to both voices on each stave.

Brian Barker