Re: Lines and Ties and Slurs oh my!

From: steve
Subject: Re: Lines and Ties and Slurs oh my!
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 14:42:55 -0500

 Howdy!

        I put together a sample of ties and a couple of apogg/slurs...

       This issue is hugely dependent on context, particularly spacing
requirements,
so some stuff was not reproducible as it ocurred in the origina,  and
other times new stuff came up that was not evident before... so I 'm not
sure how useful this will be...

        www.gooeytar.com/projects/BWV-988/samples/

     There a lots of obvious problems with some ties. Most of  are
consistent enough
that a standard kind of \shape fix should work good enough...

      Summary of some issues

               bar 4 -8 :  tie terminates on inner staff line, but not in
bar 9 and 10. But
                                it is the identical notes and rythym

               bar 12 : tie terminates on upper staff line

               bar 13 : tie terminates high on middle of note, unlike in
bar 17 and 33 even
                            though note pitch is identical and values are
similar.

         I understand that the correct fix is a significant amount of
work, but was
wondering a simple "quick fix" for 2.18.1 is possible...

         There are certain obvious tie problems that are pathological, in
sense that
they are consistent and there is a common solution. For example

           i) ties terminating on an upper staff lilne
          ii) ties terminating on an inner staff line
         iii) ties terminating above in the middle of a note for
              notes on an upper ledger line

           These all have individual \shape fixes that will work well
enough for a large
number of cases.. the process of going through identifying a problem case and
applying a \shift solution is a simple mechanical one.

         Is it possible for LilyPond to identify these cases and fix them
itself?

         So an simplified algorithm is

        If ( Bad_Tie_Case_A )
              apply_fix_a
        If ( Bad_Tie_Case_B)
              apply_fix_b
         If ( Bad_Tie_Case_C )
              apply_fix_c

         where each apply_fix is a simple \shape transformation

       Is it possible to algorithmically determine in advance a Bad Tie?

       Going through it manually can be easily done and would only require
a few days, but I would be willing to sponsor a solution for 2.18.1 if
it is simple enough, not expensive, and will not make a mess..

        -steve