Re: What is LilyPond's ideal of "classical music engraving" ?

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: What is LilyPond's ideal of "classical music engraving" ?
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 19:50:42 +0100

> I would say one thing: that in terms of consistency, LilyPond
> outperforms a number of earlier pieces of engraved music hands down.

I would like to second that: I was comparing hand engraved scores
recently to look for their clefs and their ottava brackets. For the
latter I even found different styles within the same piece. My overall
impression was that the look of LilyPond scores is better than any of
the traditional scores I looked at (Bärenreiter, Henle, Edition Peters).
I also found differences in tie handling.

Nonetheless, I think these tie improvements are worth the effort and not
overdoing the strife for perfection.

One thing that is nice in the hand engraved scores: They are usually
very tight — something that LilyPond has improved on but to achieve this
dense spacing automatically is not trivial.

Small imperfections probably make the score look more “human” and
“friendly” compared to perfectly consistent scores. (I am not voting for
introducing randomness in LP ;) )

Concerning the original topic: How about composing a list of publisher
that are considered as examples for good engraving?
I know Bärenreiter, Henle, Edition Peters, Boosey & Hawkes (of which at
least the first one was used as example for LP)

Cheers,
Joram