midi2ly doesn't follow time signatures (beat divisions)

From: Paul Morris
Subject: midi2ly doesn't follow time signatures (beat divisions)
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 21:09:13 -0500

For what it's worth, if anyone is looking for ways to improve midi2ly, the
first footnote of this blog post:
http://blog.steinberg.net/2014/02/development-diary-part-the-fifth/#fn-523-1

notes that midi2ly does not follow the beat divisions of the time signature
when it decides how to represent tied notes (or rests):

"[midi2ly] takes the most simplistic approach possible when converting MIDI
data into notation, simply biting off as much of a long note as possible as can
be represented by a single note value (with augmentation dot if necessary), and
then handling any remaining duration in the same way, so every long note is
always split up using durations that proceed from longest to shortest,
completely ignoring the beat divisions implied by the prevailing time
signature."

I haven't actually been able to test this as I couldn't get midi2ly to run...
-Paul

% TEST CASE
\version "2.18.0"

music = {