Re: Scorio and GPL

From: Jan-Peter Voigt
Subject: Re: Scorio and GPL
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 08:13:50 +0100

Hi Martin,

I know scorio and talked to the developers at musicfair (Musikmesse)
2011 in Frankfurt (am Rhein, Germany). They do in fact use lilypond. But
AFAICS they do not violate the GPL, because lilypond is not selled, just
there service of engraving on scorios servers - or better, the
applications to access the service. The apps are non-free ... they
started on iOS, and Apples licenses are not GPL-compatible.
Scorio is using lilypond on there servers, like others do use mysql or
apache or ... and they might use another software: all music is stored
in musicXML format, so they might start to use any other music engraving
software, that can be accessed headless.
So it seems to be another brick in the wall around the free world, we
are looking for, but first: its not illegal to use free software and
sell non-free services, and second: someone has to pay the bill for the
running infrastructure, so I wouldn't even call it illegitimate, despite
of the fact that *I* prefer to see people using lilypond and other free
software ... STOP
OK, this is again the free-software-theme ... \relative c'' { \time 2/4
\key c \minor r8 g[ g g] | ees2 | }

Back to the point: The non-free apps are used to access the servers of
scorio. AFAIK there is no GPL licensed code needed to run the app, its
just accessing a web-service.

Cheers, Jan-Peter