Re: devs ask for feedback about RehearsalMark spacing

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: devs ask for feedback about RehearsalMark spacing
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 16:34:19 +0100

Hi,

> I might lack the experience needed, but some comments to the suggestion:
>
> With a small text like the "I" it looks strange that it is placed
> somewhere in the middle between the notes.
> I think the most important thing is, that the placement should clearly
> indicate where it belongs.
> The most obvious alignment for me would be centred on the note it
> belongs to and if the text is longer than the horizontal space of the
> note, it should start on it (i.e. left aligned somewhere a bit left of
> the note) and go (without pushing other notes to the right) to the right
> as far as needed (as a usual markup does, too). I am not sure if that is
> possible.

The alignment is a completely different matter.  A RehearsalMark can
be aligned to the left, center, or right, or some other value.  If i
ever have the time to finish rewriting alignment code, it will be
possible to provide even more advanced options.  And one can write a
completely custom function, too.

The question is where the _attachment point_ ("anchor") should be.
You may be interested to read what's linked in
http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=3273 to get a
better understanding of alignments.

...actually, trying various alignments for RehearsalMarks makes it
clear that the change in behaviour is needed: currently the alignments
don't make much sense.  See attachment.

Janek