Re: Using only manual page breaks in a large file with many short scores

From: Ralph Palmer
Subject: Re: Using only manual page breaks in a large file with many short scores
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 08:43:37 -0500

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 9:58 PM, Paul Morris <address@hidden> wrote:

Thanks for that.  It's a nice illustration of how \bookpart works.  I need to look into \table-of-contents which looks very useful.

I've attached a similar example to show how things are currently set up with what I'm working with.  Basically each tune (\score) is in its own file and 2-3 of them should fit on each page.

Greetings, Paul -

I'm a former fiddler/violinist who has graduated to viola. I've been trying to learn fiddle tunes on the viola, and I've been using Lilypond to transpose tunes into alto clef. I transcribe the tunes in treble clef first so I can proofread them. I use a slightly different setup than you use or than seems to have been suggested. I'm attaching some files as a minimal (three pages) example.

I use \book, but not \bookPart.
I include \override NonMusicalPaperColumn.page-break-permission = ##f  in each score, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.
I think my system should be pretty self-explanatory, but basically I :
set up an ly file for each tune (with \header and \score sections there but commented out, in case I want to generate a score for a single tune) ;
set up a "master" file (Tunebook.ly) with a \paper section ;
\include each individual tune file at the top level ;
and include a \score section for each tune, with pitch (\relative), clef, and header information.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. Also, I have about 500 tunes transcribed, although a lot of them are under copyright. I transcribed them for my own use, so that I could transpose them to alto clef, again for my personal use. You are welcome to any of the public domain tunes I've transcribed. I could send you a tune list, if you'd like.

Good luck with your project,

Ralph

--
Ralph Palmer