Re: Using only manual page breaks in a large file with many short scores

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Using only manual page breaks in a large file with many short scores
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 21:33:32 +0100

Federico Bruni wrote:
> It's hard to understand exactly your situation without looking an example.
> Anyway, what I meant is in the minimal example attached.

Thanks for that.  It's a nice illustration of how \bookpart works.  I need to look into \table-of-contents which looks very useful.

I've attached a similar example to show how things are currently set up with what I'm working with.  Basically each tune (\score) is in its own file and 2-3 of them should fit on each page.

If I used \bookpart like in your example, I would have one \bookpart per page and one file per \bookpart (page), rather than one file per tune (\score).  And then I'd lose the flexibility of having a separate file for each tune that can stand on its own or be easily re-combined with other tunes in different groupings.

Ok, so you don't want to change this setup.
Another workaround to avoid the last system in the last page is using page-count in the \paper block of the collection.ly file.

Or better: why not using ragged-last-bottom=##f ? This problem is only in the last page, isn't it?

\version "2.18.0"

\pointAndClickOff

\layout {
  %\override NonMusicalPaperColumn.page-break-permission = ##f
}
\paper {
  top-margin = 10 \mm
  bottom-margin = 6 \mm

  % two options:
  ragged-last-bottom = ##f
  %page-count = #3 % to keep the last system of tune three in the third page
}

% 1
\include "Tune1.ly"
\include "Tune2.ly"
\include "Tune3.ly"
\pageBreak

% 2 (except with different tunes)
\include "Tune1.ly"
\include "Tune2.ly"
\include "Tune3.ly"
%\pageBreak

The ragged-bottom = ##t line in Collection.ly prevents the three tunes from fitting on a page, and causes what should be "forced" manual page breaks to be ignored, and automatic page breaks to be used instead (even though page-break-permission is set to ##f).  If you comment out ragged-bottom = ##t you can see that the 3 tunes can and do fit on the page.

Thinking out loud... what if there were a way to allow LilyPond to compress things vertically (say to fit the manual page breaks), but also disallow stretching to fill the page if there is more than enough room?  Basically, what if ragged-bottom were two separate commands? Something like "allow-vertical-compression" and "allow-vertical-stretching" (or "disable-vertical-compression" and "disable-vertical-stretching")?

This is handled by the options in the \paper block (see flexible vertical spacing in the variables).