Re: 3 staff piano score

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: 3 staff piano score
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 09:13:13 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gabriel Striewe" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 8:50 AM
Subject: 3 staff piano score

Dear List,

in some, especially contemporary piano literature, a piano can have more
than 2 staffs, for example three or four, usually only for the duration
of a few bars.

I usually notate my music using \parallelMusic.

My question is: how do I achive this? I would like a third or fourth
staff to appear only during some bars, not continuously.

Example:
(Trying to use a second pair of
"\parallelMusic" and "<< \new Staff>>",
but this doesn't work.

\parallelMusic #'(voiceA voiceB) {
 c''1|
 c'1|

 %Bar 2
 d''1|
 d'1|
}

\parallelMusic #'(voiceC voiceD voiceE) {
 %Bar 3
 e''1|
 e'1|
 c'1|
}

\score {

 \new PianoStaff \with {
   instrumentName = "Klavier"
 }
 <<
   \new Staff  {\voiceA}
   \new Staff   {\voiceB}

 <<
 \new Staff {\voiceC}
 \new Staff {\voiceD}
 \new Staff {\voiceE}

 \layout { }
}

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Gabriel

Have you tried \Staff \RemoveEmptyStaves ?

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/modifying-single-staves#hiding-staves

--
Phil Holmes