storing and manipulating multi-chunk texts

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: storing and manipulating multi-chunk texts
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 22:19:42 -0500

Hello all,

Hopefully this is a “softball”…

I often have long-ish composition titles like "Two Ukrainian Courting Tunes: A
Minuet & Scherzo”. When I am putting the title in the header (e.g., at the top
of the score), I'd like it in a single line; when it’s used in the
bookTitleMarkup and scoreTitleMarkup, I’d like it split [naturally] into its
two lines.

Of course, I could write it out in several different variables and manipulate
each of them individually. Or I could fuss with non-breaking spaces and the
like. But I’d rather not.

I’d rather do something like

    title = #'(Two Ukrainian Courting Tunes:" "A Minuet & Scherzo”)

and then be able to say

    \markup \one-line \title
    \markup \multi-line \title

or whatever.

What do people see as the most flexible, least user-unfriendly way of storing
and outputting such things?
Ideally, this would scale well to texts of three and more lines.

Thanks,
Kieren.