Re: 3 staff piano score

From: Gabriel Striewe
Subject: Re: 3 staff piano score
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 14:52:27 +0100

> >in some, especially contemporary piano literature, a piano can have more
> >than 2 staffs, for example three or four, usually only for the duration
> >of a few bars.
> >
> >I usually notate my music using \parallelMusic.
> >
> >My question is: how do I achive this? I would like a third or fourth
> >staff to appear only during some bars, not continuously.
> >
> >Example:
> >(Trying to use a second pair of
> >"\parallelMusic" and "<< \new Staff>>",
> >but this doesn't work.
> >
> >\parallelMusic #'(voiceA voiceB) {
> > c''1|
> > c'1|
> >
> > %Bar 2
> > d''1|
> > d'1|
> >}
> >
> >\parallelMusic #'(voiceC voiceD voiceE) {
> > %Bar 3
> > e''1|
> > e'1|
> > c'1|
> >}
> >
> >\score {
> >
> > \new PianoStaff \with {
> >   instrumentName = "Klavier"
> > }
> > <<
> >   \new Staff  {\voiceA}
> >   \new Staff   {\voiceB}
> >

> > <<
> > \new Staff {\voiceC}
> > \new Staff {\voiceD}
> > \new Staff {\voiceE}
> > >>

> > \layout { }
> >}
> >
> >Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Gabriel
>
> Have you tried \Staff \RemoveEmptyStaves ?
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/modifying-single-staves#hiding-staves
>
> --
> Phil Holmes

Thanks for the hint.

%%% Example %%%

\parallelMusic #'(voiceA voiceB voiceC) {
  c''1|
  c'1|
  r1|
% \break

  %Bar 2
  d''1|
  d'1|
  \clef bass c,,1|
% \break
}

 \layout {
  \context {
    \Staff \RemoveEmptyStaves
    \override VerticalAxisGroup #'remove-first = ##t
  \new PianoStaff \with {
    instrumentName = "Klavier"
  }
  <<
    \new Staff  {\voiceA}
    \new Staff   {\voiceB}
\new Staff {\voiceC}

However, this doesn't have the desired effect, either. Or did I do
something wrong? I'am trying to achieve something like:

http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/snippets/staff-notation#staff-notation-adding-an-extra-staff

I wonder whether this actually works with \parallelMusic or not.

I need to get my piece ready for the Musikmesse in Frankfurt/Germany. I
will now constrain myself to using only two staves (it would however be
more elegant using more than two staves). Will try again after
I got it ready. Any hints still appreciated.

Gabriel