Re: Changing stem stencil

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Changing stem stencil
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 17:18:44 +0100

On 2014-02-27 20:44, Peter Bjuhr wrote:
Hello,

I have a question about changing stems. In my case it's related to an
exploration of using SMuFL Fonts in LilyPond, which are made available
in the openLilyLib snippets repository by Joram Berger and Nathan Ho.
I would like to take the opportunity to thank them both!

[...]

Any guidance will be appreciated!

I found this http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Snippet?id=864, and thanks to
that I managed to set up this script:

\include "../smufl/definitions.ily"

#(define (PendereckiTremolo-stem grob)
    (if (ly:stencil? (ly:stem::print grob))
      (let* ((stencil (ly:stem::print grob))
             (X-ext (ly:stencil-extent stencil X))
             (Y-ext (ly:stencil-extent stencil Y))
             (width (interval-length X-ext))
             (len (interval-length Y-ext)))

        (ly:stencil-translate
          (grob-interpret-markup grob
            (markup #:smuflglyph "stemPendereckiTremolo"))
          (cons 0 (interval-start Y-ext))))
      #f))

  \relative c'{
   \override Stem #'stencil = #PendereckiTremolo-stem
   f4 b c e
}

Is the attachment really what you intended?

But if anybody wants to try this remember that it will only work with
the addition of the SMuFL script in the openLilyLib snippets repository
https://github.com/openlilylib/snippets/tree/master/custom-music-fonts/smufl

There is no fixed rule about this, but the suggestion for using this library is:

- make the root directory of the repo available in LilyPond's include path and then reference the full path, in your case it would be:

% from openlilylib/snippets
\include "custom-music-fonts/smufl/definitions.ily"

This is quite expressive IMO.

Best
Urs

Best