LilyPond benchmarks - request for proposals

From: Urs Liska
Subject: LilyPond benchmarks - request for proposals
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 12:01:46 +0100

Hello LilyPond users,

LilyPond's declared claim is "automated engraving", and we're often talking about how exceptionally good its default results are. But we're also often talking about stuff that isn't good enough by default (see for example Janek's blog post about how many slurs and ties he had to fix for our big Fried edition).

So I thought of collecting a concise set of reference or benchmark scores to be put on a - not too prominent - place on lilypond.org. These should explicitly be done without any styling overrides or manual tweaks (only some page layout may be accepted if the type of score requires it). These benchmarks would automatically be built for any new version of the website and give us a clear picture of what has to be done to achieve perfection. And I think that - even with exposing our "imperfections" - we're not giving away because this default output scores will always be soo much better than most of the competition could hope for.

Today I'd like to ask for suggestions: a) to assemble a set of score _types_ to be used in that benchmark series, b) possibly for concrete suggestions.

Of course the example scores should expose (more or less) exemplary input style. For a start I will set up a repo on Github until it's reasonably finished to be included in the website.

My ideas so far are:

- classical piano piece

- string quartet

- solo instrument

- moderately complex orchestral score

- SATB choir with piano

- complex song
  -> We'll probably be able to use one of our Fried songs for that

- complex score from 20th century (not graphic yet)
  -> I have a proposal for that already:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49478835/lily-examples/variations-and-theme-default.pdf

Thanks for any ideas and/or contributions.

Urs