Re: [SPAM] Re: LilyPond benchmarks - request for proposals

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: [SPAM] Re: LilyPond benchmarks - request for proposals
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 14:19:22 +0100

Am 01.03.2014 14:04, schrieb David Kastrup:
Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

Hello LilyPond users,

And I think that - even with exposing our "imperfections" - we're not
giving away because this default output scores will always be soo much
better than most of the competition could hope for.

I am not sure that "input without manual adjustments" is a natural
concept for all WYSIWYG programs, so I'm not sure that the comparison
with other programs should be a prime motivation.

It _isn't_, maybe I didn't make myself clear enough. All I wanted to say is that there is no need to hide such a comparison just because we're exposing weaknesses by it. I think LilyPond can be very proud of what it has achieved already in this respect.

It's more like seeing
for ourselves where we could do better.

That was exactly my motivation. So far we don't have a corpus of representative examples to measure against.

Of course, it would be nice to
see the progression (hopefully) for 2.0, 2.2, 2.4, 2.6, 2.8 ... 2.18.

Today I'd like to ask for suggestions: a) to assemble a set of score
_types_ to be used in that benchmark series, b) possibly for concrete
suggestions.

Of course the example scores should expose (more or less) exemplary
input style.

I suppose that rules out my favorite bad tie demonstration subject (see
below).  But it probably can be converted to "canonical" non-computed
form by using \displayLilyMusic on the generated music and paste the
results.

No it doesn't rule that out. This actually is a very good example, and it will be useful to show any progress (or the lack thereof). Of course we can have such a "generated" example, I just wanted to say we should take care not to expose sloppy coding here.
My example probably has to be cleaned up to match that claim, too ;-)

My ideas so far are:

- classical piano piece

- string quartet

- solo instrument

- moderately complex orchestral score

- SATB choir with piano

- complex song
   -> We'll probably be able to use one of our Fried songs for that

- complex score from 20th century (not graphic yet)
   -> I have a proposal for that already:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49478835/lily-examples/variations-and-theme-default.pdf

Well, the following tie-rich example is a Jazz chord progression.  Jazz
chords are likely a good contestant for multiple tie configurations.

I'll definitely take it to the list.
Of course it doesn't matter either that it isn't a full-fledged composition.

Urs