Re: 2 stanzas, different voice, how to align

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: 2 stanzas, different voice, how to align
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 12:36:55 -0000

Ed, you wrote Thursday, March 06, 2014 8:11 AM

> Okay, I tried what Trevor suggested and it worked fine -- for the three
> measures where I have two different voices. However, the remaining 12
> measures are all the same, that is, there is only one voice.
>
> My first attempt at coding this was to break the two voices apart and
> then define a "remainder" portion. This resulted in collisions among all
> the notes after the first three measures. Omitting the remainder section
> omits the last 12 measures of text for the second verse with this
> message: warning: LyricText has empty extent and non-empty stencil.
> and this is the result:
>
> I can't seem to find a resolution to this. Any ideas?

It's a bit messy but you can put the remainder of verse 2 in the first
voice.  Use \skip to skip over the parts where the rhythms are
different and simply stop the second voice at the start of the
remainder section.  This will help you with \skip:

http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/techniques-specific-to-lyrics#index-skipping-notes-in-lyrics

Remember it's always helpful to a responder if you include a faulty but
working .ly file showing the problem.  You might then even receive a
fully working version by return.

Trevor