Re: Is this reasonable/playable (guitar)?

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Is this reasonable/playable (guitar)?
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2014 09:44:26 +0100

Am 08.03.2014 09:32, schrieb David Kastrup:
David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

Marc Hohl <address@hidden> writes:

Am 06.03.2014 18:00, schrieb David Kastrup:
David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

So I'm now down to

and that's probably long enough I should spend on this distraction.

What about

       << { r8 a' d e f\3 a\2 | <f\3 a\2 d\1>2\arpeggio } \\
         { d,2.~ | d2 } >> r4

for the final bars? The position change from the first to the tenth
fret remains the same but starts earlier and gives a nice line to
the topmost note of the final arpeggiated chord.

Ok, just a nitpick ...

Now that I was allowed to make a noise again, I checked that version.
The basic idea is good.  However, the arpeggio becomes redundant: there
is no need to strike the notes again.  If one did so, one better would
restrike the bass note as well, but I think it's better just keeping
them all on sustain without further notice.

Yep, absolutely!

Definitely an improvement.  I'll just have to cast this into code.

Not that hard.  Except that with

       << { \set tieWaitForNote = ##t
           r8 a' d e f\3~ a\2~ | <f a d>2 } \\
         { d,2.~ | d2 }
       >> r4

the string indication on the first f is not really a mere matter of
style any more.  So I probably should print it in the score.  Which is a
nuisance as I suppressed the numbers staff-wide so far.

You may insert a barré indicator for the tenth fret or a bracket for
f, a and d to indicate that these three notes have to be fretted with
the index finger.

On the other side: you use tablature as well, so the information is
there, even without explicit string numbers. And even without tablature
staff it is implicitly given through the ties – there is no other
possibility to play the piece and let the notes sustain as given in the
score.

Marc

But that's probably a similar nuisance since you did not use fingerings
nor barré indicators througout the rest of the piece.