Re: Is this reasonable/playable (guitar)?

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Is this reasonable/playable (guitar)?
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2014 11:48:39 +0100

Am 08.03.2014 10:42, schrieb David Kastrup:
Marc Hohl <address@hidden> writes:

Am 08.03.2014 09:32, schrieb David Kastrup:

Not that hard.  Except that with

        << { \set tieWaitForNote = ##t
           r8 a' d e f\3~ a\2~ | <f a d>2 } \\
         { d,2.~ | d2 }
        >> r4

the string indication on the first f is not really a mere matter of
style any more.  So I probably should print it in the score.  Which is a
nuisance as I suppressed the numbers staff-wide so far.

You may insert a barré indicator for the tenth fret or a bracket for
f, a and d to indicate that these three notes have to be fretted with
the index finger.

Pffft.  Is this for real?  What a nuisance to get this looking
half-civil...

On the other side: you use tablature as well, so the information is
there, even without explicit string numbers.

I don't think that's the way combined staves are supposed to work: the
tab is supposed to get the missing info "offline" via glancing at the
staff, but the staff is supposed to be self-contained for score
sightreaders.  We have a \tabFullNotation or similar for making a
TabStaff contain everything, but that's assumed standard for a Staff.

Probably.

And even without tablature staff it is implicitly given through the
ties – there is no other possibility to play the piece and let the
notes sustain as given in the score.

Sure, but puzzle games and backtracking are not sightreader-friendly.

I am accustomed to work through a guitar piece where some
spurious fingerings give you a faint idea where the notes are supposed
to be located on the fretboard.
This is probably due to the plate-engraved scores where every number
and every sign were quite time-consuming.

But that does not mean that I like puzzle games and backtracing while
playing music, so you're right on this one.

I've seen barring indications in some scores of mine that basically use
a half-bracket, reaching down from the X (position indicator) above the
staff and ending in a hook just below the lowest note to be barred.  So
they are more like vertical spanners than horizontal ones (horizontally,
they are dissolved by another position indicator or by becoming
obviously irrelevant).  Does not seem obvious how to crank out something
like that using LilyPond.

Yes, that's what I had in mind when I describend my "bracket" solution.
There's something on the LSR for those half-brackets but no genuine
Lilypondish solution.

Still I think I consider this position indicator better than, say, three
string indicators.  And using both seems like overkill.

Of course.

Marc