Re: Is this reasonable/playable (guitar)?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Is this reasonable/playable (guitar)?
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2014 12:00:57 +0100

Marc Hohl <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 08.03.2014 10:42, schrieb David Kastrup:
>
>> Sure, but puzzle games and backtracking are not sightreader-friendly.
>
> I am accustomed to work through a guitar piece where some
> spurious fingerings give you a faint idea where the notes are supposed
> to be located on the fretboard.
> This is probably due to the plate-engraved scores where every number
> and every sign were quite time-consuming.
>
> But that does not mean that I like puzzle games and backtracing while
> playing music, so you're right on this one.

Well, there are exceptions.  The Bach violin solo partitas and sonatas
are over wide stretches "puzzle games" where only one position/fingering
makes any sense.  I prefer working with the uncluttered Urtext here
rather than some edition peppered through with lots of redundant and
partially worse information that what I can come up with on my own.

Of course, publishers used to shy away from "Urtexts" because they
become "outdated" much slower than liberal fingering suggestions and
offer far fewer possibilities for "new revised" editions that restart
the copyright countdown clock.  But since Mickey Mouse took over the
copyright legislation including continually updated retroactive
copyright extensions, there is really no need to put out anything
substantially new nowadays.

--
David Kastrup