Re: [GSoC] GNU Lilypond

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [GSoC] GNU Lilypond
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 22:25:25 +0100

Diogo Santos <address@hidden> writes:

> Greetings.
>
> My name is Diogo Santos and I’m doing the 5th year of Informations
> Systems and Computer Engineering, in Instituto Superior Técnico,
> Lisbon, Portugal.
>
> I send this email to request information regarding the GNU LilyPond
> project (make it work with Guile v2) for Google Summer of Code. I have
> experience in several functional programming languages, including
> Lisp, Scheme and, more recently, Racket. I also have the code in my
> possession but it will require some time to understand, which is why I
> show my interest in this project and ask for any information you might
> provide.
>
> Looking forward to your answer and discussing the details with you.

The basic start is disabling the configure check that complains about
use of GUILEv2, then installing a developer version of GUILEv2 and
taking it from there.

If you want to tackle that, I can take a look in my private branches and
look for a starting point.

One thing to note is that in the every released version of GUILEv2, the
(ice-9 curried-definitions) module is broken, and any define-public or
define-macro-public using currying will fail to export the definition.

The real solution would be to kick the GUILEv2 developers until they
make a release with the fixes.  I have some workarounds in a local
branch, but they suffer from some visibility problems.

The boring solution would be to replace every currying definition in our
code base with a non-currying one or replace its define-public with a
combination of ordinary define and export.

If you wanted to tackle this, I'd probably be your main point of
reference and/or tutor since I'm the most currently active developer who
has meddled in this area.  I might be able to come up with clues about
particular stumbling blocks.

This is an actually rather important task: just recently a Mageia
maintainer stated on the list that LilyPond would cease getting provided
by the end of this year if it was not possible to compile it with
GUILEv2.

So it would be great if you wanted to take this up.

--
David Kastrup