Winterreise (was: Feedback for starting a crowd funding campaign)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Winterreise (was: Feedback for starting a crowd funding campaign)
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 10:17:56 +0100

Am 05.03.2014 19:38, schrieb Paul Morris:
Hi Urs,
You might take a look at these as examples, if you haven't already:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/opengoldberg/open-goldberg-variations-setting-bach-free

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/opengoldberg/open-well-tempered-clavier-bah-to-bach

Best of luck with it!
-Paul

The fundamental difference here is that practically everybody knows who Bach is and what he stands for, and there are uncountable numbers of people caring about his music and potentially interested in a crowd funding campaign on that basis. I don't have any illusions about the interest a certain Oskar Fried will raise by himself, so I hope we can make it interesting from the "project" perspective.

But while we're at it I had an idea about a project that could become similar to the Bach projects: We could try to prepare a crowd funded edition of Schubert's "Winterreise".

This is not only something pulled out of the corner because it's a prominent piece. There really _are_ significant aspects that can be added to the existing editions. I don't have the time to go into detail here, but I have invested significant amounts of time on it in the context of my doctoral thesis, and there _are_ unresolved questions, regarding original keys, and at least in one case regarding the issue in which way the shorthand notation of articulations in the manuscript of "Letzte Hoffnung" should be expanded.

Creating a free edition of the "Winterreise" that takes such questions into account and makes it possible to generate individual transpositions would be similar as a contribution to the mentioned Bach projects.

Adding a recording to that would be nice bonus, but no requirement. Could actually be a second-level target (i.e. if a given amount of extra money is collected). I'm quite positive that I could get a prominent singer to do this.

I'd be really interested in such a project, but I have to say that I could only really consider it if it is sufficiently crowdfunded beforehand. And I think it would be expensive.

Best
Urs

--
Urs Liska