Re: Grace notes causing extra space in other staves

From: SoundsFromSound
Subject: Re: Grace notes causing extra space in other staves
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 22:24:46 -0700 (PDT)

carltesta wrote
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have a measure written below, the top staff of the piano has three
> beamed grace notes and it seems to be affecting the spacing of the
> sixteenth notes in the bottom staff. Is there anything I could do so that
> the unsightly space in the middle of those sixteenth notes goes away?
>
> Thanks,
> Carl
>
> \version "2.18.0"
>
> global = {
>   \key c \major
>   \time 4/4
> }
>
> right = \relative c' {
>   \global
>   % Music follows here.
>         r4 <d, ges>8 <aes' c> \tuplet 3/2 {<ges' c>4
> <g, des> \grace {c'8( d ees} <e, g>4)}
>
> }
>
> left = \relative c, {
>   \global
>   % Music follows here.
>
> <e ges>
> 2 r4 \grace { s8 s s } ges16 a c e
>
> }
>
> \score {
>   \new PianoStaff \with {
>     instrumentName = "Piano"
>   } <<
>     \new Staff = "right" \with {
>       midiInstrument = "acoustic grand"
>     } \right
>     \new Staff = "left" \with {
>       midiInstrument = "acoustic grand"
>     } { \clef bass \left }
>   >>
>   \layout { }
> }
<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n160385/question.png>

Hello Carl,

Does this assist you at all?

Ben

____

The space given to grace notes can be adjusted using the spacing-increment
property of Score.GraceSpacing.

graceNotes = {
  \grace { c4 c8 c16 c32 }
  c8
}

\relative c'' {
  c8
  \graceNotes
  \override Score.GraceSpacing #'spacing-increment = #2.0
  \graceNotes
  \revert Score.GraceSpacing #'spacing-increment
  \graceNotes
}

-----
composer | sound designer