Re: Applying alternate "bar style" to whole StaffGroup

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Applying alternate "bar style" to whole StaffGroup
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 12:15:17 +0100

> Am 15.03.2014 11:04, schrieb Pierre Perol-Schneider:

>> <mailto:address@hidden>>:
>>

>>     Well, this still shows three starting brackets instead of one big
>>     bracket spanning all three staves as shown in the poicture, isn't it?
>>

>> Yep, you're wrigth. I didn't check the output well enough. :(
>> I wonder if this could be considered as a possible bug...
>

> Rather a feature request IMHO, but in principle, you are right, lilypond
> should provide such bar line delimiters.
>
> Regards,
>
> Marc
>>

>> Cheers,
>> ~Pierre

Hi,

the "bracket-barline" was introduced, during work on the new
barline-interface. Before it existed as a dummy only.
Every barline is calculated to fit to every Staff (!) it appears in.
The spanbar to connect them in a StaffGroup is created separatly.
Therefore a barline which uses a musicglyph, like the bracketbar,
which uses brackettips, will be applied to every Staff of a
StaffGroup. Both brackettips will be visible in _every_ Staff. It will
not be "stretched" to fit the whole StaffGroup.

Another example for that behaviour is the "segno-barline". The
segno-glyph is printed in every Staff and not the whole StaffGroup:

\new StaffGroup <<
\new Staff { R1 \bar "S" R }
\new Staff { R1 \bar "S" R }

I think it will not be possible to create a single _barline_ which fit
a whole StaffGroup.
Therefore it is not a bug, but expected behaviour.

Though, it would be nice being able to print a bracket (or a
segno-sign) through all Staffs of a StaffGroup.
Though, this would be not the duty of the barline-interface, but maybe
of the SystemStartDelimiter or something similiar.

And that is the real feature request, quite often requested.

Cheers,
  Harm