Re: minor chords

From: Robert Schmaus
Subject: Re: minor chords
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 12:45:38 +0100

Hi Martin,

true, there's no such thing as "the Real Book". Even within a particular exemplar, not everything is consistent.

I found that the best thing to do is to think about what suits best you personally, and be consistent with that. In the end, jazz lead sheets might end up on notestands in places with poor lightning, and you will want to have a lead sheet on which you can read and identify everything quickly.

I took the liberty of attaching three screenshots of the opening bars of "My Funny Valentine", all from edition 5 of the Real Book, in C, Bb and in Bass clef. Three different styles. I would almost bet that I'd find different styles also withing a single book ... but (to quote Woody Allen) whatever works for you ...

But it would certainly be ugly style to use the "-" symbol for minor chords in general but to write Cmmaj7 for a minor with major 7. Personally, I use "-" for minor chords, and add a superscript triangle-7 for this chord (see 4th attachment). And I find Cmmaj7 not exactly more readable than C-maj7 - both are fine, provided the "maj7" part comes as a superscript.

Best,
Robert