Re: minor chords

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: minor chords
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 11:13:54 -0400

Hi all,

> Personally, I use "-" for minor chords, and add a superscript triangle-7

I find the triangle to be less well-known in the circles in which I travel —
mostly music theatre, but also some jazzers (n.b., most, of course, are
familiar with the triangle notation).

The best notation I’ve found — i.e., the least ambiguous and most immediately
[sight-]readable — is Cm(maj7), including parentheses. I’ve never had anyone
complain about that notation, whereas the triangle leads to
discussion/explanation in a statistically-significant portion of the sessions
I’ve attended.

> provided the "maj7" part comes as a superscript.

Having learned my lesson the hard way, I now avoid all super- and sub-scripts:
when players or situations present vision limitations (e.g., players need
glasses, light is low, etc.), the smaller font sometimes leads to problems.

Hope this helps!
Kieren.