Re: vertical position of beamed rests

From: Michael Winter
Subject: Re: vertical position of beamed rests
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 09:19:40 -0700

Hi All,

I am bumping this issue as I am working with Casey and we really need a
solution for this problem. Any help will be much appreciated. Again, it
seems like there is no way to:

force center (vertically) the rests in the staff such that the beams are
pushed out of the way when they are over rests with stemlets.

We have tried both globally with:

\override Score.Rest #'staff-position = #'-0

And by refactoring all the rests to

b'8\rest

The results are the same. As mentioned in Casey's last email, I was
wondering if it is possible to force the starts and ends of a beam to be
of at least a certain height if stems up and below a certain height if
stems down.

Any other solutions also very welcome. This is the end stage of a very
large transcription project for a work by James Tenney and we really
want to get the score out into the world!

Best,

Mike

On 03/10/2014 01:14 PM, address@hidden wrote:
> Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 10:54:36 -0700
> From: casey anderson <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: vertical position of beamed rests
>
> Hi all,
>
> We ended up refactoring all the rest such that they are give with an
explicit note value followed by \rest.

> However, that did not solve the problem. Is there any other potential
solution? e.g. forcing the starts and ends of a beam to be of at least a

(address@hidden) wrote:

> hi urs,
>
> sure, but refactoring all the rests would be very difficult as the
score is already completely generated...we are hoping to simply make
this change when necessary on a case-by-case basis. any idea how to do
so without refactoring the entire score (there are 64 of them)?