Re: Using custom fonts and unicodes

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Re: Using custom fonts and unicodes
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 16:43:43 +1100

On 23/03/14 16:07, Joey Di Nardo wrote:
I am currently trying to access custom unicode characters via:

\markup{\override #'(font-name . "Blissymbolics") \char ##x1234}

Where 1234 is the unicode hexadecimal code, however this is giving me incorrect, foreign characters, which leads me to believe that the font I'm trying to access isn't visible to lilypond.

Is this correct? And how do I fix it so that I can access any individual character from any individual font I'd like.

Does lilypond -dshow-available-fonts show that font. i.e.:

lilypond -dshow-available-fonts 2>&1 | grep Blissymbolics

The font name inside the markup command has to match what lilypond shows for the family name with -dshow-available-fonts.

As an aside, why does lilypond direct the output from commands such as this to stderr rather than stdout? It means having to redirect stderr to stdout so that the shell can pipe the output to grep's stdin.

Nick