Re: Discussing typographical standards

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Discussing typographical standards
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 09:46:27 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Shann" <address@hidden>
To: "Alexander Kobel" <address@hidden>
Cc: "lilypond user list" <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 9:25 AM

On Tue, 2014-03-25 at 09:14 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
On Tue, 2014-03-25 at 09:07 +0100, Alexander Kobel wrote:
> On 03/25/2014 01:10 AM, Simon Albrecht wrote:
> > The following is completely off-topic, but I’d like to share some
> > observations I often make and thoughts I have and ask for your
opinion:

> Hi Simon,
[...]
> Ugh.  Ugly, but Denemo's fault.

the Denemo user's fault (me, in this case), it would seem I should
have
written -- instead of - attached ... ignorance (sigh!).

I did a search and replace "- " with " -- " and uploaded a new version

http://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ImagefromIndex/278632

I left the long melismata as it is in the original print, because I
don't know what else to do with it. And I took the opportunity to tweak
the beaming and the line break at half-bar. I thought it was worth
tweaking, as this is out there as an example of LilyPond typesetting. It
is now LilyPond 2.18

Richard

If you were setting this now, you would use a lyric extender.

http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-vocal-music#extenders-and-hyphens

Older typesetting often uses multiple dots (periods) for this: I always replace them with the horizontal line.

--
Phil Holmes