Extra Staff length

From: Conor Cook
Subject: Extra Staff length
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 17:43:42 -0500

Dear Lilypond Community,

I am working on a musical example for a paper, and I am in need of some assistance.  It started out longer and even more complicated, but I deleted a few measures, but when I did so, I ended up with staff lines that extend beyond the end of the music, which happens mid-measure.  The etc… is connected to the last pitches, and the extra length stays when I move it to the left.

The example is trying to show how the same material in the first bar goes to different material.

Also, if there is a way to show slurs connecting to material beyond the fragment, I would appreciate seeing how.

Best,
Conor