Difference between # and $

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Difference between # and $
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 00:31:07 +0100

Hi,

I have a hard time to understand the difference between # and $ in LilyPond code blocks within Scheme functions.

2.2.1 of the Extending manual says:
"Within LilyPond code blocks, use # to reference function arguments (eg., ‘#arg1’) or to start an inline Scheme expression containing function arguments (eg., ‘#(cons arg1 arg2)’). Where normal Scheme expressions using # don’t do the trick, you might need to revert to immediate Scheme expressions using $, for example as ‘$music’."

This doesn't really help.

2.1. says:
"... can deal with embedded Scheme expressions starting with $ and #."

This is even less helpful.

Please give me a meaningful explanation of what "immediate Scheme expressions" are and when and why you should use them. Then I may be able to update the docs.

Urs