Re: Vertical spacing on final page of score

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Vertical spacing on final page of score
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 12:49:31 +0200

Hi Graham,

> On Sun, 2014-03-30 at 09:46 +0100, Graham King wrote:
>
> On Sun, 2014-03-30 at 09:37 +0100, Graham King wrote:
>
> I'm having a bit of a struggle with the spacing of systems on the final page
> of a 12-page score.
> With
> \paper { ragged-last-bottom = ##t }
> the final page has three systems crowded together, followed by a sea of
> whitespace, then the copyright line.

That's the way ragged-last-bottom = ##t should work!

> But with
> \paper { ragged-last-bottom = ##f }
> the spacing between systems is reasonable but the final system is too close
> to the copyright line.
>
> I've tried various things, including:

Something like that is the quick'n dirty thingy I always use:

> changing the copyright line to \markup { \center-column { " " \vspace #10
> "some text" }}

[...]
> Well, the inevitable happened!  After a couple of hours of experimentation,
> I swallowed my pride and asked the list, and then almost immediately found
> something that worked:
> \paper {
>   last-bottom-spacing =
>     #'((basic-distance . 12)
>        (minimum-distance .12)
>        (padding . 12)
>        (stretchability . 12))
> }

The problem (at least for me) is that last-bottom-spacing affects the
bottom-spacing on _every_ page, not only the last.
I'm not aware of any other command affecting only the bottom-spacing
of the last page.

Btw, please always post a compilable example, at least for doing experiments.
Something like:

\paper {
    %% spread the systems over last page
    ragged-last-bottom = ##f
    %% works on every page!
    last-bottom-spacing =
          #'((basic-distance . 12)
             (minimum-distance .12)
             (padding . 12)
             (stretchability . 12))
        %% adding \box for better visibility
        oddFooterMarkup =
        \markup \box \fill-line {
            " " \on-the-fly #last-page \fromproperty #'header:tagline " "
        }
        evenFooterMarkup = \oddFooterMarkup
}

\header {
    %% workaround for adding space above the tagline
    tagline = \markup \column { \vspace #9 "some text" }
}

\repeat unfold 40 { c1 \break }

Cheers,
  Harm