The pleasantry of Lilyponding

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: The pleasantry of Lilyponding
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 16:41:52 +0200

Hello Lilypond aficionados,

some days ago I sat in a regional train, two young guys opposite me talking about computer games they were playing. At which I found an answer to the question why I find it worthwile investing many and often tedious hours in music typesetting with LilyPond: It’s actually a game! You’ve got some task set, there are obstacles to remove, sometimes you encounter dead ends or leap to another level, there are funny spots in docs or issue tracker, you may suffer disappointments or achieve success, and in the end there stands the score as a reward. It’s like a mixture of a logical puzzle and a strategy game, with the pleasant side effect that it is not just for fun, but you get a result which can be ported to real life and has an actual use for other people! Besides some bit of artwork continues to live in there, only it’s not achieved through handicraft as in earlier centuries, but through logics, computing and (more or less industrial) printing. While working on your files, you may enjoy some of the music you’re typesetting, plus the beauty of Lilypond’s music engraving.
So after all it is not as nerdy as may seem…

All the best,
Simon