LilyPond-Book on Windows

From: Br. Samuel Springuel
Subject: LilyPond-Book on Windows
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2014 08:58:52 -0400

I'm having trouble using lilypond-book on my Windows machine. The program sees to hang during the initial run of the typesetting engine that's used to determine the page settings. In this case, by hang I mean that everything proceeds normally up to this point, but then nothing happens, even if left for several hours, until I eventually use a KeyboardInterrupt to arrest the process.

This happens with two different typesetting engines (lualatex and pdflatex), both of which work on other documents. This leads me to suspect that there's a problem in lilypond-book itself.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

The contents of my command line (the first process was arrested after running for 5 hours, the second had been running for 15 minutes and was still ongoing at the time of writing this email):

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>cd "My Documents\Sext Hymns"

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Sext Hymns>lilypond-book --latex-pr
ogram "lualatex --shell-escape" --output "C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Doc
uments\Sext Hymns\Advent-Christmas-out" --lily-output-dir "C:\Documents and Sett
ings\Admin\My Documents\Sext Hymns\Advent-Christmas-lily"  --verbose "Advent-Chr
istmas.lytex"
lilypond-book.py: Setting LilyPond's output to --verbose, implied by lilypond-bo
ok's setting
lilypond-book.py (GNU LilyPond) 2.18.2
Reading Advent-Christmas.lytex...
Running `lualatex --shell-escape' on file `c:\docume~1\admin\locals~1\temp\tmpgz
qsfb.tex' to detect default page settings.

Executing: lualatex --shell-escape c:\docume~1\admin\locals~1\temp\tmpgzqsfb.tex

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "c:\Program Files\LilyPond\usr\bin\lilypond-book.py", line 776, in ?
    main ()
  File "c:\Program Files\LilyPond\usr\bin\lilypond-book.py", line 759, in main
    chunks = do_file (files[0])
  File "c:\Program Files\LilyPond\usr\bin\lilypond-book.py", line 607, in do_fil
    global_options.formatter.init_default_snippet_options (source)
  File "out/book_base.py", line 141, in init_default_snippet_options
  File "out/book_latex.py", line 295, in get_line_width
  File "out/book_latex.py", line 211, in get_latex_textwidth
KeyboardInterrupt

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Sext Hymns>lilypond-book --latex-pr
ogram "pdflatex" --output "C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Sext Hym
ns\test-out" --lily-output-dir "C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Sex
t Hymns\test-lily"  --verbose "test.lytex"
lilypond-book.py: Setting LilyPond's output to --verbose, implied by lilypond-bo
ok's setting
lilypond-book.py (GNU LilyPond) 2.18.2
Reading test.lytex...
Running `pdflatex' on file `c:\docume~1\admin\locals~1\temp\tmpzniues.tex' to de
tect default page settings.

Executing: pdflatex c:\docume~1\admin\locals~1\temp\tmpzniues.tex

--
Br. Samuel

PAX ☧ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ