Re: LilyPond-Book on Windows

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: LilyPond-Book on Windows
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 14:48:01 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Br. Samuel Springuel" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2014 2:36 PM

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Br. Samuel Springuel" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2014 2:07 PM

It's not just that: most Windows users aren't actively participating on
the lists, either.

I have asked several times on one of the lists what the result of

exit(0)

inside of the Python we deliver with Windows (?) would be.  Should not
be too hard, but no response.  It's not clear to me what version of
Python we actually deliver (and I was apparently pointed to the wrong
GUB repository for finding that out the hard way by looking at the
source).

Sorry - probably busy with other stuff.  This may be what you want:

C:\Program Files (x86)\LilyPondV2.18.0\usr\bin>python
Python 2.4.5 (#1, Oct  6 2013, 18:41:07)
[GCC 4.1.1] on mingw32
exit(0)
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
TypeError: 'str' object is not callable

What I suspected.  Like the problem that gets a workaround in
LilyPond-book (and I am afraid that the workaround will likely break the
TEXINPUTS manipulation and thus does not lead to a working program),
this is pretty absurd.

Instead of trying to find something nicer, like os.exit or sys.exit or
whatever, I think it would make more sense first to move to version 2.6
(which probably means updating to Jan's repository and/or merging it
into Graham's) and see how we fare there.  It's quite conceivable that
blunders like that are fixed in later versions.

--
David Kastrup

It would only need Graham's repo to be updated: I pull from there. For any updates to Gub or -extra, only Graham's repo is used.

However, I have no idea how the update would be performed.

Might be worth asking if there's a windows user with a later version of Python that could try exit(0).

--
Phil Holmes