Re: LilyPond-Book on Windows

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: LilyPond-Book on Windows
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 16:20:01 +0200

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Sorry - probably busy with other stuff.  This may be what you want:
>>>
>>> C:\Program Files (x86)\LilyPondV2.18.0\usr\bin>python
>>> Python 2.4.5 (#1, Oct  6 2013, 18:41:07)
>>> [GCC 4.1.1] on mingw32
>>> Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>>> TypeError: 'str' object is not callable
>>>>>>

>> What I suspected.  Like the problem that gets a workaround in
>> LilyPond-book (and I am afraid that the workaround will likely break the
>> TEXINPUTS manipulation and thus does not lead to a working program),
>> this is pretty absurd.
>>
>> Instead of trying to find something nicer, like os.exit or sys.exit or
>> whatever, I think it would make more sense first to move to version 2.6
>> (which probably means updating to Jan's repository and/or merging it
>> into Graham's) and see how we fare there.  It's quite conceivable that
>> blunders like that are fixed in later versions.
>
> It would only need Graham's repo to be updated: I pull from there.
> For any updates to Gub or -extra, only Graham's repo is used.
>
> However, I have no idea how the update would be performed.
>
> Might be worth asking if there's a windows user with a later version
> of Python that could try exit(0).

The exit thing is more like a nuisance: it leads to misleading error
messages after an actual error is diagnosed.  The other thing is more
critical.  It may very well be that only our GUB-bootstrapped binaries
are affected.  Now if our current distributed version is 2.4.5, we'll
still get into the path

if (sys.platform == 'mingw32') and (sys.version_info < (2, 6)):
        ### use os.system to avoid weird sleep() problems on
        ### GUB's python 2.4.2 on mingw

So my first impulse would be to throw out the workaround for 2.4.2 that
has ceased to work out once we are meddling with TEXINPUTS and see what
happens.  However, it is a reasonable suspicion that we'll get back
whatever behavior led to the workaround to get introduced in the first
place.

The workaround is not all that old:

commit ab8dfc6e8f3de3cefc8fab09a4993acaec460720