Re: The pleasantry of Lilyponding

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: The pleasantry of Lilyponding
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 16:55:36 +0200

Paul Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> Simon Albrecht-2 wrote
>> It’s like a mixture of a logical puzzle and a strategy game, with the
>> pleasant side effect that it is not just for fun, but you get a result
>> which can be ported to real life and has an actual use for other people!
>
> I think you're right.  I have noticed the following scenario:  I will be
> working on a particular problem (with LilyPond but also with similar
> "coding" tasks) and I get a lot of satisfaction out of finally solving it.
> Then when I tell someone else about it, it doesn't seem like such a big deal
> to them because they are just focusing on the results and don't appreciate
> the difficulties in the process.  So I've realized that the satisfaction I
> get is often proportional to the challenge of the task rather than to the
> results.  Very much like a logical puzzle or game.

Huh.  We are working at cross-purposes then.  I don't write scores as an
intellectual challenge.  I rather tend to do scorish stuff on the list
because I think it should be easy to prove to people that they are
trivial to do with LilyPond.  Then LilyPond trips me up, and I end up
dragging it kicking and screaming to the state where it would have been
easy to do.

--
David Kastrup