Re: LilyPond-Book on Windows

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: LilyPond-Book on Windows
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 16:26:57 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2014 4:14 PM

"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> writes:

David wrote Thursday, April 03, 2014 2:07 PM

So it would appear that we still deliver a broken version of
LilyPond-book in 2.18.2 since no Windows users are interested in it
enough that we would have gotten a report about it in the month that it
was available in the developer releases.

I use lilypond-book under Windows, but only for compiling sections
of the documentation.  It works fine for me, even 2.19.3.  I don't use
Latex at all.

The latest problems are in the LaTeX part and the problematic
functionality involving TEXINPUTS has not apparently been ported to
Texinfo.

Well, by "fine" I mean it does what I need.  The opening preamble
which attempts to determine some line width fails, but it has failed
in the same way for ages, since Graham's workaround for the problem
David mentions - 1933.

Just fabulous.  So we have been using a "fix" that causes reliable
failure since 2.16.

As I said many times on the notes of 1933, the line width detection was put in solely to avoid the black bars we used to get in our documentation: it had no other purpose. Given that nobody compiles the final documents on windows, the fact that it fails is of no relevance whatever.

--
David Kastrup

--
Phil Holmes