Re: Extra naturals in accidental-style teaching?

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Extra naturals in accidental-style teaching?
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 11:19:04 -0700 (PDT)

Ariel Barton wrote
> I am trying to use the accidental style "teaching" to make my music a
> little easier to use. The problem is, "teaching" produces a whole lot of
> superfluous natural signs that aren't really helpful; they just clutter up
> the page. (They don't seem to follow any particular rules, either; they
> seem to be distributed at random.)

Hi Ariel,  It seems that these cautionary natural signs appear any time a
given note occurs again, if it is not immediately following the same note.

\version "2.18.2"
\new Staff {
  \accidentalStyle teaching
  \key c \major
  \relative f' {
  c8 d c d e e f e f e e d c c d e

This may be a bug. The docs say "cautionary accidentals are added for all
sharp or flat tones specified by the key signature, except if the note is
immediately repeated."[1]  So I think these cautionary _natural_ signs
shouldn't be shown at all?

[1]
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/displaying-pitches#automatic-accidentals

As a work-around you would have to manually hide each of these unwanted
accidentals, but it would probably be easier at that point to use "modern"
style and manually force the natural signs to appear, by adding a ! after
the note like this: c!  Or maybe a different style (like forget ?) would be
close enough to what you want?

HTH,
-Paul