Re: Automatically realize figured bass

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Automatically realize figured bass
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2014 18:09:12 +0100

Hi Malte,

Almost all my music typesetting involves typesetting figured bass, and
in addition I have created a way of realizing figured bass by playing on
a MIDI keyboard (see the demo at https://vimeo.com/62426412 ). I have
used this to create LilyPond engraved scores which a keyboard player
found adequate for playing an accompaniment.
One thing I think you would need is the ability to set the likely rate
of chord change - figured bass is an ambiguous notation even when the
figures are relatively complete (and they are rarely that) - but on the
question of whether a note is to be treated as a passing note or a
harmony note it is completely silent.

I guess you could consider using Denemo as your representation of the
data (bass notes with figures attached, and if you want to really push
the boat out, all the other notes that are being sounded at the same
time). It has a scheme interface which allows you to enquire about notes
and their durations, iterate, etc and it does have a separate data type
for the attached figures. (I noticed to my dismay that Finale when
exporting figured bass in MusicXML just exports bits of text distributed
in suggestive manner below the bass note, indistinguishable from any
other text that might be there). I have quite a large collection
(several hundred) of scores with figured bass in Denemo format (and
hence available also in LilyPond format), if they would be of use to
you. They include the entire set of Handels figured bass exercises,
which covers quite a lot of figured bass notation (these are publicly
available in the Denemo distribution itself).

HTH

Richard