temporary polyphonic passage in Staff + TabStaff

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: temporary polyphonic passage in Staff + TabStaff
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2014 21:56:58 +0200

I'm typesetting a two voice piece which needs a temporary third voice in one bar only.
The problem is that I'm using Staff + TabStaff, so the following minimal example creates an extra  staff. Comment the TabStaff block and the problem doesn't exist.

\version "2.18.2"

upper = \relative c' {
  c1
  << c4 d
     \new Voice { \voiceThree g, a }

}

lower = \relative c {
  c1
  a2 e
}

\score {
  \new StaffGroup <<
    \new Staff {
      \clef "treble_8"
      << \voiceOne \upper \\ \voiceTwo \lower >>
    }
    %%{
    \new TabStaff \with {
      \clef moderntab
    } <<
      \new TabVoice { \voiceOne \upper }
      \new TabVoice { \voiceTwo \lower }
    >>%}

  \layout {  }
}

There's a smart way to work around this?
Or I'm forced to create a third variable full of space rests just to put some notes of a single bar in the third voice?

I see that I tried to solve the same issue 4 years ago, but I think that something has changed since then and I can't find a clear answer in that thread:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2010-01/msg00560.html

Thanks in advance
Federico