Re: Hyphen in a lyrics word

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: Hyphen in a lyrics word
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2014 19:51:56 +0200

> The problem is you can't please all the people all the time.  Some want
> disappearing hyphens.

Hi Phil,

I don’t want to make this thread much longer as I got the answer I
needed, but here I have to disagree. It might depend on the language,
but I am not speaking of hyphens due to hyphenation but hyphens
separating words in non-broken text.

In German, I would say it’s not a matter of taste. You can not write
SBahn instead of S-Bahn or iPunkt instead of i-Punkt.

Concerning English, I am not so sure, but can you really write:
maneating shark instead of man-eating shark or
twentiethcentury painting instead of twentieth-century painting?

That’s the use-case I was talking about, not hyphenation to split syllables.

Cheers,
Joram